Even though we may be in the midst of summer, Labor Day is quickly approaching. And as Americans, we look forward to honoring the achievements of the U.S. labor movement and its contributions to the prosperity and well-being of the country. As the accident lawyers serving South Jersey, the Law Offices of Vincent J. Ciecka would like to remind you to stay safe over the upcoming holiday weekend.
The period over Labor Day is one of the deadliest times of year in America regarding vehicular fatalities. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is implementing a zero-tolerance, “Drive Sober, Get Pulled Over” campaign from mid-August through Labor Day weekend to stop drinking and driving across the country and save lives in the process.
According to the NHTSA,
- One-third of all traffic crashes involve drunk driving
- It’s illegal across the entire U.S. to drive with a blood-alcohol level above 0.08
- Men are more likely to be driving drunk in fatal crashes than women
A Hazardous Holiday
- Over the Labor Day period of 2016, 43% of all fatal crashes involved drivers who were drinking
- Among drivers between the ages of 18 and 34 who were killed in crashes over the Labor Day holiday period in 2016, 47% of those fatalities involved drunk drivers
- Every August from 2012 to 2016, close to 10% of the drivers involved had previous drunk driving convictions
Be Prepared for Safety
If you plan on celebrating Labor Day, please be prepared to make safe decisions. If you intend on consuming alcohol, use a designated driver, take a ride on public transportation, or take an Uber, Lyft, or even a taxi. There’s nothing to be gained in risking a DUI.
And if you have a friend who’s about to attempt to drink and drive, please take their keys and arrange for a safe mode of transportation to get them home safe.
The High Price of Driving Impaired
Drunk driving can not only cost you your life; it can harm, injure, and even kill your family or loved ones. And if that’s not enough, it can also cost you significant financial losses through court costs, fines, attorney fees, and loss of work. Simply put, you can’t afford to drive drunk.
At the Law Offices of Vincent J. Ciecka, we provide Camden County with workers compensation attorney services, and we care about your wellbeing over the Labor Day holiday. Stay safe out there.
For more information on drunk driving prevention, call us at 856-283-0589.