Auto insurance can get complicated. How do I know what to pick? What does Pennsylvania require? As the resident auto accident lawyers of NJ and PA, we’ll break it down for you.
Every driver needs insurance coverage for their vehicle(s). Some kinds are necessary whereas others are optional. The minimum car insurance requirements for the state of Pennsylvania are:
- Minimum of $5,000 for medical expenses for yourself or others, regardless of fault
- Minimum of $15,000 for medical expenses for one person, with a maximum of $30,000 per accident
- Minimum of $5,000 for property damage when at fault
- Limited OR full tort coverage to file a legal suit against the driver at fault
- Limited coverage costs less while providing less coverage; not all types of suits are covered.
- Full coverage costs more but provides better coverage to sue the driver at fault.
In PA, drivers automatically receive full tort/right to sue unless they opt out. You can receive a settlement without proving a permanent injury. We HIGHLY recommend that you keep the right to sue/full tort, rather than opting out.
You can also add on other kinds of coverage to your insurance policies for more comprehensive protection. These types of coverage are not required, but include:
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist protection
- Although it is required, there are still a surprising amount of drivers who do not have coverage. This type of coverage will protect you if you get into an accident with someone without, or with insufficient, insurance. Usually, this coverage is not very expensive to add to your policy. We highly recommend it, especially to those living in Philadelphia, and opting for at least $100,000.
- Accidental death
- Funeral benefits
- Medical benefits that exceed $100,000 – We strongly suggest this one as well.
- Loss of income coverage
- Coverage for weather or environmental damage
- Vehicle rental or towing services
As the premier car accident lawyers serving NJ and PA, the Law Offices of Vincent J. Ciecka, P.C. know the ins and outs of car insurance policies and the companies that provide them. We are more than willing to thoroughly review these policies with you to make sure you have the coverage you desire. In the unfortunate event of an accident, we are not afraid to stand up to the big insurance companies to ensure that provide you with the coverage that they promised.
Contact us today. We will review your policy for FREE so you can change your coverage at any time if we think it’s best. Call (856) 283-0509 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.